Author Question: Study Tips for an incoming college freshman? (Read 1820 times)

lbcchick

I'm going to be majoring in computer science and mechanical engineering at RIT this fall and could really use some study tips. I realize both fields are very difficult and I am up for the challenge as computers and engineering are my interests.
It would also help if anyone could suggest subjects I can begin to study that I'll most likely encounter in college. I've already taken AP computer science, AP calculus, and AP physics B.

ssal

Does RIT have computer engineering? Seems like a much simpler blend of engineering and computer science.

As a mechanical engineer, you'll probably be taking statics, calculus 1, 2 and 3, differential equations, statistics, introductory chemistry. Then of course, all of your engineering classes (thermodynamics, materials, kinetics, etc).

I definitely suggest retaking your AP classes that are relevant to your major in college (some programs actually require this).  AP classes at some schools are far too easy compared to the equivalent college course. By retaking the class, you make sure you know the material on the level that you need to. Plus, it makes for a nice transition to college, since you'll have a good idea of what's going on in your classes.

Anyway, to answer your original question:
- go to class and sit near the front
- ask for help early
- visit your professors/TAs
- do exams from previous years
- form good study groups
- take your own notes; to constantly depend on someone else's notes is a hindrance
- do as many practice problems in the book as you can

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

erika

1. use every bit of time you have  to study.
2. study in between classes.
3. form a study group with your friends and share notes and discuss the lectures
4. record your professor's lectures on a digital recorder that has USB compatibility so you can save your lectures on your computer (first ask your professor if it is okay to record their lectures)
5. make sure you do the homework even if it isn't required. and keep studying
6. don't fall behind: also don't stop reading in your textbook because that's where your work ends. read on, stay ahead of the game. you'll be better off and you'll make it easier on yourself later because if you do this you don't have to cram for a test.
7. enjoy yourself and good luck to you in your future.

i hope these help you.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2013 by Celeste »

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

After 5 years of being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, one every three patients will no longer be able to work.

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library