Author Question: How do I calculate a derivative in excel when having x and y values? (Read 983 times)

Jones

I have two columns in Excel, one column being x values and the other being y values. How can I calculate the derivative and second derivative based on this information? Ultimately, I am looking to find the point on my graph at which the line is increasing and a decreasing rate.

Joesy

How far apart are your x values?  You can approximate the derivative by using the limit definition (i.e. (f(x+h) - f(x))/h as h goes to 0), which is basically the slope formula for a really small delta-x.  So say you have x's in column A and y's in column B.  Make a 3rd column for the first derivative and set the first value to be =(B2-B1)/(A2-A1) and drag that all the way down.  Then make a fourth column for the second derivative and use the formula (C2-C1)/(A2-A1), and drag that down.

Again this only works if your x values are close together!  The closer they are, the better.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2018 by Celeste »

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

Persons who overdose with cardiac glycosides have a better chance of overall survival if they can survive the first 24 hours after the overdose.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

Although not all of the following muscle groups are commonly used, intramuscular injections may be given into the abdominals, biceps, calves, deltoids, gluteals, laterals, pectorals, quadriceps, trapezoids, and triceps.

Did you know?

The toxic levels for lithium carbonate are close to the therapeutic levels. Signs of toxicity include fine hand tremor, polyuria, mild thirst, nausea, general discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, drowsiness, muscular weakness, lack of coordination, ataxia, giddiness, tinnitus, and blurred vision.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library