Author Question: How to find initial velocity of projectile? (Read 978 times)

Millan

I've been trying to figure this problem out for a while. Please help.  An object (9kg) is launched off a building (442m height) and lands 500m away from base of building. At what velocity was the object launched?

Melanie

How was it launched? Horizontally (angle of zero degrees)? or at some angle?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Hungry!

Answer, I think --> 52.7 m/s

I'm guessing that this is a horizontal launch, where ? = 0° ?  If not, I can't answer this problem, and the answer I gave is meaningless.

Given:

m = 9 kg
H = 442 m
R = 500 m
g = 9.81 m/s^2 (Earth gravity, mean)

Mass doesn't matter unless you're including air resistance, which I don't think you are.

Vo = R * SQRT { g / 2H }

Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { (9.81 m/s^2) / [ 2 * (442 m) ] }
Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { (9.81 m/s^2) / [ 884 m ] }
Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { 0.0111 /s^2 }
Vo = (500 m) * (0.105 /s)
Vo = 52.7 m/s

Jones

If you want to solve it without jumping to a formula, you can do this:
Find the time that it would take for the object to fall from the top of the building. I'm assuming it was released horizontally, so initial vertical velocity is zero. So,
y2 = y1+Vo t+1/2 g t^2
V0 is 0 and y2-y1 is the height H (just the difference in y values).
H=1/2gt^2
t = sqrt (2H/g)

Since the object was released horizontally, there is no acceleration in that direction.
V=d/t = d/sqrt(2H/g)
=500/sqrt(2*442/9.8)
=52.6 m/s

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

Did you know?

In most climates, 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is recommended for adults. The best indicator for adequate fluid intake is frequent, clear urination.

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library