Author Question: How to find initial velocity of projectile? (Read 967 times)

Millan

I've been trying to figure this problem out for a while. Please help.  An object (9kg) is launched off a building (442m height) and lands 500m away from base of building. At what velocity was the object launched?

Melanie

How was it launched? Horizontally (angle of zero degrees)? or at some angle?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Hungry!

Answer, I think --> 52.7 m/s

I'm guessing that this is a horizontal launch, where ? = 0° ?  If not, I can't answer this problem, and the answer I gave is meaningless.

Given:

m = 9 kg
H = 442 m
R = 500 m
g = 9.81 m/s^2 (Earth gravity, mean)

Mass doesn't matter unless you're including air resistance, which I don't think you are.

Vo = R * SQRT { g / 2H }

Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { (9.81 m/s^2) / [ 2 * (442 m) ] }
Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { (9.81 m/s^2) / [ 884 m ] }
Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { 0.0111 /s^2 }
Vo = (500 m) * (0.105 /s)
Vo = 52.7 m/s

Jones

If you want to solve it without jumping to a formula, you can do this:
Find the time that it would take for the object to fall from the top of the building. I'm assuming it was released horizontally, so initial vertical velocity is zero. So,
y2 = y1+Vo t+1/2 g t^2
V0 is 0 and y2-y1 is the height H (just the difference in y values).
H=1/2gt^2
t = sqrt (2H/g)

Since the object was released horizontally, there is no acceleration in that direction.
V=d/t = d/sqrt(2H/g)
=500/sqrt(2*442/9.8)
=52.6 m/s

Did you know?

Your skin wrinkles if you stay in the bathtub a long time because the outermost layer of skin (which consists of dead keratin) swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin below it, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling. This happens to the hands and feet because they have the thickest layer of dead keratin cells.

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

Symptoms of kidney problems include a loss of appetite, back pain (which may be sudden and intense), chills, abdominal pain, fluid retention, nausea, the urge to urinate, vomiting, and fever.

Did you know?

A serious new warning has been established for pregnant women against taking ACE inhibitors during pregnancy. In the study, the risk of major birth defects in children whose mothers took ACE inhibitors during the first trimester was nearly three times higher than in children whose mothers didn't take ACE inhibitors. Physicians can prescribe alternative medications for pregnant women who have symptoms of high blood pressure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library