Author Question: Is it possible to find the velocity of a projectile given a point on the path and the angle of projection? (Read 697 times)

hummingbird

This one's been puzzling me for quite some time now. I've been given a point on the projectile's path as (140,6) and I know the angle is 55°, but that's all I have. I also know that at t=0, the height is 1m, if that helps.

Jones

that's not much info, but i guess that's the problem you're dealing with =]

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Jesse_J

well, you just use the equation of trajectory and you will know the speed directly. the equation is:
y=(tanA*x)-[(g*x*x*)/(u*u*cosA*cosA*2)] where x and y are the co-ordinates and A is the angle of projection. you can easily derive this equation using simple equations of motion.

ricki

For the vertical direction we have:

y(t) = y(0) + v_y(0) t - 1/2 g t^2

For the horizontal direction:

x(t) = x(0) + v_x(0) t

This second equation implies:

t = ( x(t) - x(0) ) / v_x(0) .

Substituting that in the first gives the trajectory, y(x), which is the parabola :

y(x) = y(0) + v_y(0)/v_x(0)  ( x - x(0) ) - 1/2 g / (v_x(0)^2)  (x-x(0))^2

Now x(0) = 0 and y(0) = 1:

y = 1 + v_y(0)/v_x(0)  x  - g/(2 v_x(0)^2)  x^2 .

Differentiating wrt time gives:

v_y = v_y(0)   v_x / v_x(0) - g/( v_x(0))  x  

If we substitude (x,y) = (140,6) in these equations, we have two equations with four unknowns (initial and final velocity components). But we also know
 v_y/v_x = tan(55),
and from energy conservation
 1/2 m v^2 = 1/2 m v(0)^2 + m g (y-1)

So in principle it can be solved, as there are four equations with four unknowns.

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

About 600,000 particles of skin are shed every hour by each human. If you live to age 70 years, you have shed 105 pounds of dead skin.

Did you know?

Allergies play a major part in the health of children. The most prevalent childhood allergies are milk, egg, soy, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, and seafood.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library