Author Question: What is escape velocity from the center of the Earth? (Read 927 times)

hummingbird

Escape velocity on the surface is 11.2 km/s.

If a hole is drilled to the center of the Earth, then what initial velocity should have the projectile launched from the center of the Earth in order to escape to the infinity?

curlz

An interesting question which I haven't encountered before.  I won't run the numbers, but I'll outline the solution: the total kinetic energy required will be that needed to reach infinity from the surface, plus that required to reach the surface from the center.  The former is easily determined from the stated escape velocity; the latter can be determined by integrating the gravitational force from zero to the surface.  Although the value of this depends on the earth's density at various depths, it is an adequate approximation to assume that the density is constant throughout, and in that case the gravitational pull is simply a linear function of the distance to the center, and the integral will be proportional to the square of that distance.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Sandstorm

Brilliant question, simple answer (I think).

First dropping an apple towards the earth's center.  Its velocity should peak at the velocity of low earth orbit which is Escape Velocity/sqr(2).  (This assumes uniform density).

Therefore, using Conservation of Energy
Escape V center of Earth = sqr(Escape V^2 + (EscapeV/sqr(2))^2)
=sqr(1.5) * Escape V

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

Did you know?

Oxytocin is recommended only for pregnancies that have a medical reason for inducing labor (such as eclampsia) and is not recommended for elective procedures or for making the birthing process more convenient.

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

Earwax has antimicrobial properties that reduce the viability of bacteria and fungus in the human ear.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library