Author Question: What is the proper format for a legal opinion? (Read 967 times)

Jesse_J

I'm an undergrad in my first constitutional law class.  The instructor is VERY vague and heavy on the "figure it out for yourself" philosophy.

I have to write a legal opinion on a particular case (Pearson v. Callahan) and I don't know how to format the opinion.

It's supposed to be 8-12 pages, does that seem a little excessive for an opinion?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

formula1

Legal opinions can be lengthy, although I suspect 8-12 pages is more of a homework requirement than a legal one.

As far as the format, look a few up on the interent, and format yours in a similar manner.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

coco

Go visit law librarian and ask where books of precedents are kept. Ask whether certain opinions may require certain type of format. Probably not but Illinois is a somewhat unique jurisdiction.

What you're looking for here is which arguments were rejected outright, putting paid to a certain line reasoning on those circs, and which may still be open to litigants in certain circs. Basically, you have to examine the limits to assess which of these arguments flies and if so, whether in some circs you'll have to work harder to find more/more persuasive evidence of a certain kind.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

Did you know?

It is believed that humans initially contracted crabs from gorillas about 3 million years ago from either sleeping in gorilla nests or eating the apes.

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library