Author Question: what would you class as a weird aspect of British Culture? (Read 791 times)

Jesse_J

bit of a weird one i'm afraid! I'm just doing my Sociology homework and i've got to write an 250 word essay as if I were an alien explaining an odd part of British Culture. Unfortunately, i'm not all that creative and the best I can come up with is sun bathing or binge drinking but I can't make it sound decent with only 250 words! Have you got any suggestions? I guess it doesn't just have to apply to British Culture only but as long as we do it it should be alright! Thanks for your help

j_sun

Violence and aggression/insecurity - British men are very insecure, but, if challanged about it, we are also fearcly protective of what makes us a man (in our own mind) - I can't speak for women, but I'd imagine it's the same, if not more severe - since they generally get more shit than men do.

We are a serious bunch, but we can also see a very funny side to the most severe of situations - we have a generally dark and dry, but witty sense of humour.

We have a fixation with criminals, especially "Mafia-based gangsters", and secret agents. Older men want to be suave, younger and middle-aged men want that gangster image going on, and in my experience, women tend to want to be with the local gangster/hardcase.

From my experience of living in a rundown area, and reading about the early years of the Mafia, and the secrecy of the original Sicilian peasants etc - I've come realize that we have a similar point of view/way of life in the UK, particularly with the ideas of sticking together, never going to the authorities, and family loyalty, respect and honour.