Author Question: The nurse is caring for a newborn with the following device: What should be included when ... (Read 186 times)

kwoodring

The nurse is caring for a newborn with the following device: What should be included when instructing the parents about the newborn's care? Select all that apply. ?

1. The device should fall off in 8 days.
  2. Apply petroleum jelly to the site after the device falls off.
  3. Clean with warm water and mild soap after each diaper change.
  4. Apply light pressure with a sterile gauze pad if bleeding occurs.
  5. Abstain from applying cream or ointment while the device is present.

Question 2

A school-age client is diagnosed with rheumatic fever. Which parental statement indicates the need for further education by the nurse?

1. I understand rheumatic fever is a strep infection of the heart.
  2. My child will be on bed rest for several weeks.
  3. My child will be treated with aspirin and/or corticosteroids.
  4. Once my child has recovered, she will still need to be monitored for sequelae to the disease.

pratush dev

Answer to Question 1

1, 2, 5
Explanation:
1. A Plastibell can be used for circumcision. After the excess prepuce is cut away, the plastic rim remains in place for 3 to 4 days until healing occurs. The bell falls off within 8 days.
2. After the device falls off, petroleum jelly can be applied to the area to protect granulation tissue.
3. The area does not need to be cleansed with soap and water after each diaper change.
4. Bleeding might occur with other forms of circumcision but is not associated with the use of a Plastibell.
5. No ointments or creams should be used while the bell is in place.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation:
1. Rheumatic fever is not a strep infection of the heart but an autoimmune connective tissue disease in response to a previous strep infection. This statement requires clarification.
2. This statement is correct. No further clarification is needed.
3. This statement is correct and needs no clarification.
4. Children who have had one episode of rheumatic fever are at greater risk for future episodes. In addition, long-term valve damage may occur. This statement needs no further clarification.