Author Question: why is the number of electrons in the valence of an atom important? (Read 779 times)

erika

is it because it tells how many charges the element lends or borrwos? is my answer right?

1. how is the number of valence electrons in the atom of an element related to the position of the element in the periodic table?
- i know the answer to this, but i don't know how to put it in aproper sentence(s).
?the number of raws shows how many shells there are, and the family/group show the number of valence electrons.

2. how do you think the reaction of bromine with sodium would compare with the reaction of chlorine with sodium?
-the problem is that i don't understand and I just want someone to explain what it is asking.

3.what is the total charge on each of the following ions?
?one fluorine anion
?one sulfur anion
?two nitrogen onions

-Agian I just want to know what the question is asking, I don't the answer just explain what it is asking and how can I find the answer.

Thank-you ?

eruditmonkey@yahoo.com

it determines its ion.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

abarnes

because they determine its reactivity

darbym82

Alright #1 you are fairly correct each element in column 1 Hydrogen, Lithium, Sodium, etc down the line has 1 valence electron everything in column 2 has 2 valence electrons, and so on except for the transition metals (columns 3-12) they are tricky and it depends on their charge.....#2 Use the answer to number one as a guide but think of it like this Bromine has 7 valence electrons Na has 1 valence electron and all atoms want to satisfy the octet have eight electrons in their outer shell. Compare the valence electrons between Chlorine and bromine are they similar. Usually elements in the same column react similarly....#3 The key is that you know an anion is a negatively charged ion. For example if you wanted the charge of an Oxygen anion you would look at the periodic table and find that oxygen is two away from the noble gases so it would be negative 2. Hope this helps a little.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

Did you know?

About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins, which is an increase in rate of nearly 60% since the early 1980s.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

Did you know?

Pubic lice (crabs) are usually spread through sexual contact. You cannot catch them by using a public toilet.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library