Author Question: How Do You Find Number of Valence Electrons? (Read 607 times)

penguins

Can you tell me how to get number of valence electrons?Im in 8th Grade can you tell me in small words im not that stupid though but can you tell me how to tell it step by step.I need to find Number of Valence Electrons of Aluminum tell me what the Valence electron and how to do it.

sammy

Valence electrons are the electrons in the shell furthest from the nucleus(the last shell). Aluminum has 13 protons. Two protons fill the first shell, eight fill the second shell, and three fill the last one. That uses up all 13 protons. Aluminum has 3 valence electrons(the 3 electrons in the final shell).

Keep in mind you can only put two protons in the first shell, and eight in the other shells.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

april345

Periodic Table
For non-transition metals the group that it's in = the number of valence electrons

For transition metals you need to remember the common ones.

As Al is non a transition metal it has 3 valence electrons

RYAN BANYAN

The "magic" numbers are 2, 8, 18, 32, 32, 18, 8 and so on.

In science, valence electrons are the outermost electrons of an atom, which are important in determining how the atom reacts chemically with other atoms.

The number of valence electrons of an element is determined by its periodic table group (vertical column) in which the element is categorized.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library