This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In what ways is the story interesting because it explores specifically Chinese American experiences? ... (Read 218 times)

Kikoku

In what ways is the story interesting because it explores specifically Chinese American experiences? In what other ways is the story grounded in universal family issues?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

In what ways does the narrator feel at home in China? In what ways doesshe feel foreign?

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

memslove

Answer to Question 1

• Although A Pair of Tickets is saturated in Chinese history and culture, and its plot reflects a situation unlikely to be repeated in other contexts, it also explores nearly universal themes of self-discovery, cultural awareness, and family history. One might say that Tans broader theme is dual identityan especially relevant theme for many Americans who come from immigrant families. Tan explores this quintessentially American experience with humor, compassion, and imagination.

Wayne Wangs 1993 film version of The Joy Luck Club will probably disappoint most of Tans readers as much as it did movie critics. The subject matter is so interesting that it carries the film along, but Wang sentimentalizes and sensationalizes the story into a sort of Asian American soap opera. The final episode (drawn from A Pair of Tickets) is condensed and simplified. The pair of tickets is, alas, reduced to a single passage: June flies to China alone, and poor Canning Woo gets left in the States. The film may nonetheless be useful to students who need help in visualizing the American and Chinese milieus of the story. Under pressure, one might assign a particularly movie-struck student the task of comparing and contrasting the movies version of A Pair of Tickets to the original story.

Answer to Question 2

• June is Chinese American, which means that she experiences the two cultures from both the inside and the outside. Just as going to China helps her understand how she is Chinese, it also reminds her how much she has been shaped by America. She understands Mandarin Chinese but cannot speak it well. She does not know the Cantonese of her relatives or her fathers Mandarin dialect. Although she is purely Chinese in ancestry, not only her clothes betray her American upbringingshe is also too tall. I stand five-foot-six, June observes, and my head pokes above the crowd so that I am eye level only with other tourists. And yet she physically resembles her half-sisters, realizing at the end of the story: And now I also see what part of me is Chinese. It is so obvious. It is my family. It is in our blood.

Kikoku

Reply 2 on: Jul 20, 2018
Excellent

connor417

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

GI conditions that will keep you out of the U.S. armed services include ulcers, varices, fistulas, esophagitis, gastritis, congenital abnormalities, inflammatory bowel disease, enteritis, colitis, proctitis, duodenal diverticula, malabsorption syndromes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, cysts, abscesses, pancreatitis, polyps, certain hemorrhoids, splenomegaly, hernias, recent abdominal surgery, GI bypass or stomach stapling, and artificial GI openings.

Did you know?

You should not take more than 1,000 mg of vitamin E per day. Doses above this amount increase the risk of bleeding problems that can lead to a stroke.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library