This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: My sister and brother-in-law are beginning to plan a family. Should my sister avoid vitamin ... (Read 122 times)

arivle123

My sister and brother-in-law are beginning to plan a family. Should my sister avoid vitamin A-containing foods to decrease her risk of fetal malformations?

Question 2

Are there ways that university foodservice staff could assist an individual such as this to avoid large portions of vitamin K-rich foods?
  Should these measures be voluntary or mandatory in the college setting?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Juro

Answer to Question 1

No. Vitamin A is an essential nutrient, and your sister should strive to consume about 770 micrograms of vitamin A each day from food sources. This is the amount found in about 1 cup of milk and  cup of carrots combined. It would not be advised, however, to consume vitamin A supplements during pregnancy.

Answer to Question 2

The university foodservice staff can assist a student with Factor V Leiden thrombophilia by providing a daily supply of at least 2 fruits and vegetables with low vitamin K and a variety of recipe options for meat, milk, eggs, and cereals, or at least the availability of these products on a daily basis.
I think the university foodservice should not be mandated to offer such foods for a student with Factor V Leiden thrombophilia; however, it is more than feasible and inexpensive for them to do so.

arivle123

Reply 2 on: Aug 21, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

isabelt_18

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

Did you know?

Certain rare plants containing cyanide include apricot pits and a type of potato called cassava. Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants can lead to serious poisoning.

Did you know?

A headache when you wake up in the morning is indicative of sinusitis. Other symptoms of sinusitis can include fever, weakness, tiredness, a cough that may be more severe at night, and a runny nose or nasal congestion.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library