This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Use the following vignette for the question(s) that follow. Jason, Christie, Damon, and Carol are ... (Read 171 times)

lunatika

Use the following vignette for the question(s) that follow. 

Jason, Christie, Damon, and Carol are walking across the campus as they head toward one of their teacher-preparation courses. 
"Where are you going?" Jason asks Damon, as Damon turns off and heads away from the other three. 
"I'm not going today," Damon shrugs. "I don't see how this stuff is going to help me be a better teacher, and I don't think Wilburn (the professor in the course) will miss me anyway. I asked Wilburn how this stuff was relevant, but he didn't seem to have that great an answer."
"What about your homework?" Carol wondered. 
"I didn't finish it," Jason continued. "I'll slip it under his door. He doesn't count off for late work anyway." 
"Dr. Wilburn?" Carol asked just as class was beginning. "You said last time that Progressivism essentially disappeared by the mid 20th century, but awhile back we learned that hands-on activities are one characteristic of Progressivism, and most of our other instructors emphasize hands-on activities. Those two ideas don't seem to be consistent."
"That's an excellent observation, Carol," Dr. Wilburn nodded. "What does anyone else think about her comment?"
"How do you think Wilburn liked your comment?" Jason asked Carol after class. 
"I don't think he minded," she replied. "He actually seemed to like it. By the way, why don't you two speak up," Carol encouraged looking at both Jason and Christie. You both get better grades on the tests than I do."
"B pluses instead of B's," Christie waved. "Big deal. I go in a see Wilburn quite a bit. I like to tell him what a great teacher his is. He just smiles when I say it." 
"You got an A didn't you?" Carol asked Jason. 
"Yeah," Jason smiled. "I studied my butt off for the test, because I had missed a couple classes earlier in the semester." 
"I never miss class," Carol nodded. "I always feel a little lost about what's going on if I'm not there." 

Of the following, what is Dr. Wilburn's most likely reaction to Christie telling him what a great teacher he is?
◦ He will take the comments at face value; flattery is difficult to see through.
◦ He will react very positively and view Christie very positively as a student.
◦ He will react negatively to Christie repeatedly coming in for help, but he will react positively to the compliment.
◦ He is likely to react positively to Christie asking for help, but he will be skeptical of her repeated compliments.