Author Question: Do you know about extreme learning techniques? (Read 1487 times)

j_sun

I want to become an engineer and more. Are there any far-out methods to digesting vast amounts of information quickly and efficiently? I am interested in things like self-hypnosis of meditation. I want to learn about programming, calculus, geometry/ trigonometry, physics, algebra, multiplication tables, biology, environmental science, automotive mechanics etc... Did you see 'the Matrix' where trinity downloaded into her brain how to fly helicopter? Not that easy, obviously but anything like that would be too cool. Too much blank gray matter in here. Don't want to hear about nose to the grindstone, I am very busy and I already know about that. Thank you!

ricki

I have a few that have been effective for me, and they're simple to understand:

1) Be an honest person (always).  If you don't discipline yourself with the rigours required to live an honest life, you won't learn to recognize the truth (and BS) instinctively.

If you can't recognize BS instinctively, you're going to spend 2 to 3 times as much time reading to get the same results.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to pick up a book read 1 paragraph, say to yourself, "BS!", throw it over your shoulder and try again?

2) Travel (extensively).  Every chance you get, go somewhere.  I've been on 5 continents and I've lost track of how many countries.  The value you get in terms of maturity and being able to see "the big picture" is immeasurable.

3) If you can't travel, find other experiences.  Every time you have a new experience, you expand your ability to learn.  My biology once said, "you need hooks on which to hang knowledge", otherwise, you lose what you've learned in a short time.  This is what experience does for you.

4) Never read fiction.  It's almost as bad as BS, and an equal waste of time.  If you really want to learn, read something that gives you some value beyond entertainment.

5) Learn how to evaluate and rank information sources.  This is a real trick and takes practice.  Always ask yourself "how do they know?"  Here are some examples of high-value sources:

any science that can be reproduced on demand has to be true and reliable

an eye-witness can give you in detail information on an event

a lawyer can explain law as a subject matter expert

6) Learn how to give ONLY the merit that a good source deserves.  From the examples above, here are examples of limites:

an experiment using salt and water cannot yield information on the study of birds (the science is a good one ONLY as far as the experiment allows)

an eye-witness can't tell you what someone was feeling even though they witnessed the event

a lawyer is NOT an expert in religion

You need to learn how to recognize these limits instinctively.  You'd be surprised how often you're bombarded with false use of authority every day, even in the sciences.

All of these are investments.  They don't pay off right away; you'll only see a dividend in years to come.  The only ingredient missing is hard work.  You actually have to study the stuff you said you want to learn.  Why would you want to be hypnotized into regurgitating robitic data?  Wouldn't you rather just understand it?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Jones

If that were possible then every hypnotist would have 47 degrees and lots of instructors that believed they could walk on water. Hypnosis can be used to help. It will allow you to relax very quickly and get you maximum benefit from the little sleep you do get.
Drugs legal and otherwise will defeat you as sure as walking in front of a Kenworth.
make every class, take good notes, study and do your homework. Get a good nite sleep before the tests etc. ad naseum.  Sorry about that.  Forget what you see in the movies , it is just a story not a documentary.

camila

I am very busy with my life also - Working  60 + hrs. a week, taking two evening classes, studying, homework, cooking dinner, etc. and am happily married with two children.
Am a Student of Buddhism, who practices Insight Meditation. It develops Patience for one in life {which is the ability to remain internally calm, peaceful, and undisturbed in the face of harm and/or difficulites in life.
But at the same time, one must be Patient, willing to wait, for the beneficial results of daily practicing Insight {Minfulness) Meditation. For some, it is very difficult to be patient in our Microwave Society. We often want instant results, or for some,
even instant gratification.
This is not the way Insight Meditation works.
Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn PhD. has already proven the success of practicing only 15 min, a day of Insight {Mindfulness) Meditation. He has already proven that Insight Meditation stimulates and enhances the Cognitive areas of the brain, highly increasing one's intellectual capabilities,
and he states it also improves one's memory, concentration and focus.
Most go into this meditation with the intent of calming the mind down,  reducing stress and anxieties, which it definately does this.
But Insight meditation does so much more than this. It is proven that insight meditation
helps one to clearly see things, people, and situations as they really are. Basically it helps us to accurately see into the true nature of things. Thus it transforms our minds, as a result we think, speak, act, and re-act in a wholesome, and productive manner, which not only benefits us, but also others.

For one who asks me how to get started in the practice of Insight meditation, I suggest they go to Buddhanet.net, then go to the area of Insight Meditation and go step by step, to effectively learn how to practice this form of meditation. Then make the commitment to daily practice it.

If money is not a major factor, as it is not for myself, I suggest picking up the book,
"Mindfulness in Plain English"
By: Bhante Henepola Gunaratana.
Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn Ph.D. states on the back of this book, "It is a Masterpiece.
I cannot recommend it highly enough."
Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn is famous for having written the books, "Wherever You Go, There You Are", and [One of my favorites],"Coming to Our Senses".
But "Mindfulness in Plain English" is an excellent book for anyone to get started with. He has a sequel, on a different subject called "Eight Mindful Steps to Happinss"
which is also quite excellent !

But to be completely honest with you though, if you want what I call, microwave results, Insight Meditation might not be for you. Why ?
Because it takes Patience, and time to
develop and to continue to cultivate on a daily basis. One must commit to putting forth the Right Effort into this meditation, in order the receive the results.
However, I do understand, I too am Very Busy in Life. This is simply something I choose "to make the time" to do daily. And it has most definately paid off.
You sound like your young, probably under 25. And many (not all) young people [I was the same way once] desire instant results.

Thank You for giving me the opportunity to provide an answer to your Excellent question.   *Have an Great Weekend.

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

Did you know?

Eat fiber! A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels by as much as 10%.

Did you know?

Multiple experimental evidences have confirmed that at the molecular level, cancer is caused by lesions in cellular DNA.

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

Did you know?

As many as 28% of hospitalized patients requiring mechanical ventilators to help them breathe (for more than 48 hours) will develop ventilator-associated pneumonia. Current therapy involves intravenous antibiotics, but new antibiotics that can be inhaled (and more directly treat the infection) are being developed.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library