Author Question: How to work out the area of a sector when i don't have the radius? (Read 1600 times)

TI

i have to find the area of a sector but i have been given only the angle(40degrees) and the arc length(18cm) how do i work it out? I suck at rearranging the formula so i would appreciate if you could show me. thnx

formula1

To find the Area of Circle Sector: (with central angle theta)>if the angle theta is in degrees, then area = (theta/360) PI r2>if the angle theta is in radians, then area = (theta/2) r2

good luck

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

sadsdas

You know the circumference of a circle is pi times twice the radius.

There are 360 degrees in a circle.

So 40/360 = 18/circumference.

Circumference = 162

Therefore, radius = 81/pi

Area of the circle = pi (81/pi)^2 = 6561/pi

So the area of the sector = (6561/pi) * (40/360) = 729/pi

Which is approximately 232 square centimeters.

xclash

There are 360 degrees in a circle so 40 degrees has to by 40/360 or 1/0 the actual size of the circle:

Perimeter = 2 * pi * r
18cm = 2 * 1/9 * pi * r
r = 81 / pi

area = pi * r^2
area = pi * (81 / pi)^2 * 40/360

sadsdas

to get the radius there is a rule that says r=lenght of arc/angle in rad
so u got convert the 40 degrees into rad 40*pie/180 =2/9pie(rad) ,pie=3.14
so the r=length of arc 18cm divided by 2/9pie = 25.78cm !

so area = 1/2 L*R
              1/2 18 *25.78=232

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

Did you know?

The human body's pharmacokinetics are quite varied. Our hair holds onto drugs longer than our urine, blood, or saliva. For example, alcohol can be detected in the hair for up to 90 days after it was consumed. The same is true for marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine, and nicotine.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library