Author Question: How to work out the area of a sector when i don't have the radius? (Read 1622 times)

TI

i have to find the area of a sector but i have been given only the angle(40degrees) and the arc length(18cm) how do i work it out? I suck at rearranging the formula so i would appreciate if you could show me. thnx

formula1

To find the Area of Circle Sector: (with central angle theta)>if the angle theta is in degrees, then area = (theta/360) PI r2>if the angle theta is in radians, then area = (theta/2) r2

good luck

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

sadsdas

You know the circumference of a circle is pi times twice the radius.

There are 360 degrees in a circle.

So 40/360 = 18/circumference.

Circumference = 162

Therefore, radius = 81/pi

Area of the circle = pi (81/pi)^2 = 6561/pi

So the area of the sector = (6561/pi) * (40/360) = 729/pi

Which is approximately 232 square centimeters.

xclash

There are 360 degrees in a circle so 40 degrees has to by 40/360 or 1/0 the actual size of the circle:

Perimeter = 2 * pi * r
18cm = 2 * 1/9 * pi * r
r = 81 / pi

area = pi * r^2
area = pi * (81 / pi)^2 * 40/360

sadsdas

to get the radius there is a rule that says r=lenght of arc/angle in rad
so u got convert the 40 degrees into rad 40*pie/180 =2/9pie(rad) ,pie=3.14
so the r=length of arc 18cm divided by 2/9pie = 25.78cm !

so area = 1/2 L*R
              1/2 18 *25.78=232

Did you know?

Of the estimated 2 million heroin users in the United States, 600,000–800,000 are considered hardcore addicts. Heroin addiction is considered to be one of the hardest addictions to recover from.

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

In Eastern Europe and Russia, interferon is administered intranasally in varied doses for the common cold and influenza. It is claimed that this treatment can lower the risk of infection by as much as 60–70%.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library