Author Question: Could someone please help me with my psychology homework? (Read 936 times)

aero

My homework is to write an essay comparing someone's personality to a personality theory.
My problem is, I can't find any of these "personality theories"
The only one I know of is sigmund freud, and he wouldn't work in this essay.
What are some other people who coined personality theories??

geoffrey

Personality theory is one of the core concepts in psychology. Freud made a big contribution to its development, but he isn't really considered a theory himself. Other people had different ideas about personality and their thoughts also helped to develop what we call the "Big Five". Try thinking of a person you know pretty well, and ask yourself where they fit on each of these 5 points:

1. Extroversion vs. Introversion (or outgoing vs. shy)
2. Neuroticism vs. Anxious vs. Relaxed  (perfectionist/ control-freak; worry-wart or mellow?)
3. Open-ness vs. Closed to Experience   (Eager to try new things or Prefers Predictable/ conventional routine)
4. Agreeableness vs. Antagonism   (A peace-maker or a fight-picker?)
5. Conscientiousness vs. Undirectedness     (Hard-working, goal oriented or Lazy?)

These five points can mix and match to form personality. People like Carl Jung and Carl Rogers did a lot of work with personality theories. If you've ever taken an internet quiz that asks something like "What kind of person are you?" then you probably answered questions related to the "Big Five"

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Adolescents often feel clumsy during puberty because during this time of development, their hands and feet grow faster than their arms and legs do. The body is therefore out of proportion. One out of five adolescents actually experiences growing pains during this period.

Did you know?

Aspirin may benefit 11 different cancers, including those of the colon, pancreas, lungs, prostate, breasts, and leukemia.

Did you know?

Over time, chronic hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus infections can progress to advanced liver disease, liver failure, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Unlike other forms, more than 80% of hepatitis C infections become chronic and lead to liver disease. When combined with hepatitis B, hepatitis C now accounts for 75% percent of all cases of liver disease around the world. Liver failure caused by hepatitis C is now leading cause of liver transplants in the United States.

Did you know?

Dogs have been used in studies to detect various cancers in human subjects. They have been trained to sniff breath samples from humans that were collected by having them breathe into special tubes. These people included 55 lung cancer patients, 31 breast cancer patients, and 83 cancer-free patients. The dogs detected 54 of the 55 lung cancer patients as having cancer, detected 28 of the 31 breast cancer patients, and gave only three false-positive results (detecting cancer in people who didn't have it).

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library