Author Question: What is an independent and dependent variable in psychology? (Read 1140 times)

aero

I need to know what the independent and dependent variable will be in my experiment, please help!
My operant conditioning experiment is about conditioning myself to do my homework everyday by four, if i succeed i will reward myself with $40.
Help!!!!

geoffrey

An independent variable is the variable that is changed in a scientific experiment to test the effects on the dependent variable.

A dependent variable is the variable being tested in a scientific experiment.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

ricki

The independent variable is what you change experimentally, and the dependent variable is what changes as a result of the independent variable changing.

For your experiment, I'd say that your independent variable may be the presence of a reward, and the dependent variable would be whether or not it was effective, whether or not you got into a habit of doing your homework every day by 4.

hummingbird

independent: time homework is finished
dependent: reward - $40

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

Did you know?

When blood is exposed to air, it clots. Heparin allows the blood to come in direct contact with air without clotting.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library