This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Your boss asks, I've talked to others in your group and they have agreed to work this weekend. Can I ... (Read 80 times)

jman1234

Your boss asks, I've talked to others in your group and they have agreed to work this weekend. Can I count on you? To offset this influence, what should you say?

A) Normally, I could, but I have a meeting with our client this weekend to assess the problems we have with shipping. If you give me more warning next time, maybe I can help out. Maybe you should hire a temp this time.
  B) Why can't you do it?
  C) I understand the problem. However, I also have a meeting scheduled with our major client to discuss some problems they had with our last shipment. Do you suppose we could employ a temp or should I cancel my meeting?
  D) I can't do it. Get someone else.

Question 2

Which of the following influence strategies are the most egalitarian in nature?

A) Retribution
  B) Reciprocity
  C) Reason
  D) Relevance

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kjo;oj

Answer to Question 1

Answer: C
Explanation: A) Incorrect. Your boss is using a retribution approach based on intimidation and peer pressure. This response does not use one of the three strategies for neutralizing retribution, which are (1) use countervailing power to shift dependence to interdependence. This lessens the perceived inequality in power. (2) Confront the exploiting individual directly. (3) Actively resist.
B) Incorrect. Your boss is using a retribution approach based on intimidation and peer pressure. This response does not use one of the three strategies for neutralizing retribution, which are (1) use countervailing power to shift dependence to interdependence. This lessens the perceived inequality in power. (2) Confront the exploiting individual directly. (3) Actively resist.
C) Correct. This approach effectively shows the boss that there would be negative effects to him if you complied (interdependence).
D) Incorrect. Your boss is using a retribution approach based on intimidation and peer pressure. This response does not use one of the three strategies for neutralizing retribution, which are (1) use countervailing power to shift dependence to interdependence. This lessens the perceived inequality in power. (2) Confront the exploiting individual directly. (3) Actively resist.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: C
Explanation: A) Incorrect. Retribution attempts reflect a perceived imbalance in power on the part of the influencer. This is the least egalitarian of the three strategies.
B) Incorrect. Reciprocity places a sense of obligation on the target of the influence, and reduces their sense of discretion. Although Reciprocity is more egalitarian than retribution (because it recognizes exchange norms between people), it is easily misused to manipulate another party.
C) Correct. Reason is the most egalitarian influence strategy because it treats other as rational decision-makers.
D) Incorrect. Relevance is not one of the three influence strategies. Rather it is a basis of positional power.

jman1234

Reply 2 on: Jul 6, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

brbarasa

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

Serum cholesterol testing in adults is recommended every 1 to 5 years. People with diabetes and a family history of high cholesterol should be tested even more frequently.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

As many as 28% of hospitalized patients requiring mechanical ventilators to help them breathe (for more than 48 hours) will develop ventilator-associated pneumonia. Current therapy involves intravenous antibiotics, but new antibiotics that can be inhaled (and more directly treat the infection) are being developed.

Did you know?

There can actually be a 25-hour time difference between certain locations in the world. The International Date Line passes between the islands of Samoa and American Samoa. It is not a straight line, but "zig-zags" around various island chains. Therefore, Samoa and nearby islands have one date, while American Samoa and nearby islands are one day behind. Daylight saving time is used in some islands, but not in others—further shifting the hours out of sync with natural time.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library