Author Question: How do I calculate a derivative in excel when having x and y values? (Read 984 times)

Jones

I have two columns in Excel, one column being x values and the other being y values. How can I calculate the derivative and second derivative based on this information? Ultimately, I am looking to find the point on my graph at which the line is increasing and a decreasing rate.

Joesy

How far apart are your x values?  You can approximate the derivative by using the limit definition (i.e. (f(x+h) - f(x))/h as h goes to 0), which is basically the slope formula for a really small delta-x.  So say you have x's in column A and y's in column B.  Make a 3rd column for the first derivative and set the first value to be =(B2-B1)/(A2-A1) and drag that all the way down.  Then make a fourth column for the second derivative and use the formula (C2-C1)/(A2-A1), and drag that down.

Again this only works if your x values are close together!  The closer they are, the better.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2018 by Celeste »

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

Did you know?

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all women age 65 years of age or older should be screened with bone densitometry.

Did you know?

People who have myopia, or nearsightedness, are not able to see objects at a distance but only up close. It occurs when the cornea is either curved too steeply, the eye is too long, or both. This condition is progressive and worsens with time. More than 100 million people in the United States are nearsighted, but only 20% of those are born with the condition. Diet, eye exercise, drug therapy, and corrective lenses can all help manage nearsightedness.

Did you know?

Earwax has antimicrobial properties that reduce the viability of bacteria and fungus in the human ear.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library