Author Question: How do I sketch the graph of the derivative of a function? (Read 1319 times)

aero

I'm having a hard time sketching the graphs of the derivatives of unknown functions. I can't do it if I'm looking at just a graph of some unknown function. Can someone please explain in a clear way how to approximate and sketch the graph of the derivative?

Jones

From the original graph, the maxiumim and minimum points are where the derivative crosses the x-axis

Then, from the original function, wherever there is a POSITIVE gradient, the line is ABOVE the x-axis

And inversely, wherever there is a NEGATIVE gradient, the line is BELOW the x-axis.

This video explains it more detail

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Millan

So, the first thing you want to do is graph the points where it crosses the x-axis. This is going to be where the slope of the original equals zero (this makes sense right, because derivative is just slope and the slope = zero there). This is at the extrema (max and min). Then, you estimate the slopes of the other parts of the graph using the average slope formula ( f(b) - f(a) ) divided by (b - a), where b and a are x-values that you chose to approximate slope for. Sketch in a nice fit ^_^

A good way to check to see that you did it right is to look at what type of function the derivative graph is (linear, quadratic, etc.). It should always be of degree ONE LESS than the original, meaning the highest power is one less than that of the original function. Hope this helps!

Did you know?

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or MRSA was discovered in 1961 in the United Kingdom. It if often referred to as a superbug. MRSA infections cause more deaths in the United States every year than AIDS.

Methicilli ...
Did you know?

People often find it difficult to accept the idea that bacteria can be beneficial and improve health. Lactic acid bacteria are good, and when eaten, these bacteria improve health and increase longevity. These bacteria included in foods such as yogurt.

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library