Author Question: How to find the derivative of trig functions? (Read 1258 times)

camila

How would you find the derivative of sin(x), i know the answer but I don't know how you would derive the answer. I don't want it worked out the whole way but if you could just tell me the steps I need to take that would be great.
And are the other trig functions derived the same way?
Thanks!

TI

(1) You want to find the limit of the following expression (E) as h -->0:

E = [sin(x + h) - sin(x)]/h

(2) For this, expand sin(x + h) to obtain:

sin(x + h) = sin(x)cos(h) + cos(x)sin(h)

(3) Now, as h -->0, cos(h) -->1 and sin(h) -->h

so... as h --> 0

(4) E --> [sin(x) + h cos(x) - sin(x)]/h = h cos(x)/h = cos(x)

Hence, the derivative of sin(x) = cos(x)

-----------------------------------------
The derivatives of other basic trig functions can be derived

the same way.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

camila

GOLD :D Thanks so much!!

Did you know?

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Risperdal, an adult antipsychotic drug, for the symptomatic treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autism. The approval is the first for the use of a drug to treat behaviors associated with autism in children. These behaviors are included under the general heading of irritability and include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

Urine turns bright yellow if larger than normal amounts of certain substances are consumed; one of these substances is asparagus.

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

According to animal studies, the typical American diet is damaging to the liver and may result in allergies, low energy, digestive problems, and a lack of ability to detoxify harmful substances.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library