Author Question: What does the limit of the derivative of a function tell you? (Read 997 times)

aero

Starting with the function F(x) = (x^2 - 8)/(x+3), I took the derivative of it and got (x^2+6x+8)/(x+3)^2. Then I found the limit of that as x approached infinity, and it was 1. What does that answer tell me about F(x), the original function?

And please don't post any silly answers. Thanks.

j_sun

You did the derivative and the limit correctly.
In the limit, the slope of F is 1 means that eventually, the function F  is increasing 1 unit for every unit of x.
So the graph of F will eventual look like   F approximately =  1*x +b

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library