Author Question: What is the derivative of the imaginary number i? (Read 1333 times)

coco

I thought of using the definition of the derivative to find it: f'(x)=lim (h->0) (f(x+h)-f(x))/h = lim ((i+h)-i)/h = lim h/h = lim 1 = 1. Is this right? Are there other proofs?

Jesse_J

Actually i acts just as any other constant does. So the derivative of i with respect to some variable is 0.

Proof:
Let f(x) = i
Square both sides:
[f(x)]² = i²
[f(x)]² = -1
Implicitly differentiate:
2 f(x) f'(x) = 0
f(x) f'(x) = 0
i f'(x) = 0
f'(x) = 0 / i
f'(x) = 0

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Joesy

The number i is a constant, so its derivative is zero.  I think?

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

Every 10 seconds, a person in the United States goes to the emergency room complaining of head pain. About 1.2 million visits are for acute migraine attacks.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

GI conditions that will keep you out of the U.S. armed services include ulcers, varices, fistulas, esophagitis, gastritis, congenital abnormalities, inflammatory bowel disease, enteritis, colitis, proctitis, duodenal diverticula, malabsorption syndromes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, cysts, abscesses, pancreatitis, polyps, certain hemorrhoids, splenomegaly, hernias, recent abdominal surgery, GI bypass or stomach stapling, and artificial GI openings.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library