Author Question: What does it mean when germany sends a blank cheque? (Read 727 times)

TI

Its for my history homework, I'm trying to find out about a whole load of things about how the first world war started. If you have any info please let me know.

Melanie

When you give someone a blank cheque, it means that you give them permission to do whatever they want. In this case, it means that Germany gave whoever (was it the Hapsburgs?) permission to do whatever they wanted and Germany would support them. That meant, though, that when the Austro-Hungarian Empire was drawn into WWI, Germany was as well.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

Did you know?

Egg cells are about the size of a grain of sand. They are formed inside of a female's ovaries before she is even born.

Did you know?

Computer programs are available that crosscheck a new drug's possible trade name with all other trade names currently available. These programs detect dangerous similarities between names and alert the manufacturer of the drug.

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library