Author Question: What did drummer boys do in the first world war? (Read 1084 times)

Jones

I am doing my history homework on family members in world war one and i have been told that one of them was a drummer boy. I have tried looking at loads of websites for information on it but I got not find any on information on drummer boys in the first world war.
Please help!

geoffrey

They had certain beats they would play to let the troops know what orders had been given - the same way a bugle was used to sound charges...

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Yolanda

Well I can't say exactlywhat your family member did ...but in the First World War most regiments realised quite early that they did not need a drummer...or band..to beat the step for them as they went into battle.  This was a different type of war.

Most Band platoons or companies attached to a regiment were then trained as corpsmen (medics).  So they did the ceremonial role..as a band...when they regiment was outof the line...but in battle...acted as medics...

Did you know?

Cocaine was isolated in 1860 and first used as a local anesthetic in 1884. Its first clinical use was by Sigmund Freud to wean a patient from morphine addiction. The fictional character Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be addicted to cocaine by injection.

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

Did you know?

There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in every adult human.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library