Author Question: What might be the risks of refusing to help an ally? (Read 1422 times)

Jones

I'm doing my history homework i don't get it. I'm talking about an ally in war. Our class is discussing about wars in Europe right now.

aero

Well, it depends on the ally: how important is their role in your economic community. For if you take on an ally that is closely meshed with your economic system then you risk setting the whole economic market out of balance if such close partners quarrel. However, if your alliance is that of one in which you are united against a common enemy then turning away from the alliance puts you at risk. This is due to the fact that one usually enters into an alliance to fight against a more powerful adversary and that if you break that alliance down then both you and your ally's strength is hurt and leaves you vulnerable to an enemy strike or move against you. This is kinda a general answer but...yeah...

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Hawke

Think about it this way - what would happen if you promised a friend that you'd do something and then refused to?  

Thats a rough approximation of one ally refusing to meet his obligations to another.  Acctual consequences will vary depending on the situtation.  Since I'm assuming you're talking about WWI I'll use it as an example.

If England refused to declare war against Germany when France was attacked the consequences would be dire if France survived the war.  The least that France would do would be to declare a trade embargo against England.  This means that France would not trade goods or services to England, nor allow other nations to ship goods thru France or French territory to England.  This would have seriously hurt the English economy (think Great Depression).  At the extreme France would declare war on England. So either way you cut it, England would lose if they didn't support their ally.

Taken further, England's reputation would be tarnished.  Nations would not enter into agreements with England or trust the England.  This would make it difficult for England to run its economy and stay a strong, independent country.  There can be no worse action than pledging support and then not delivering.  A country that does not fulfill it's treaty obligations becomes an outcast.

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

The first oral chemotherapy drug for colon cancer was approved by FDA in 2001.

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

Did you know?

There used to be a metric calendar, as well as metric clocks. The metric calendar, or "French Republican Calendar" divided the year into 12 months, but each month was divided into three 10-day weeks. Each day had 10 decimal hours. Each hour had 100 decimal minutes. Due to lack of popularity, the metric clocks and calendars were ended in 1795, three years after they had been first marketed.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library