Author Question: How should I conduct a business meeting with a professional that could become my competitor? (Read 961 times)

coco

How should I conduct a business meeting with a professional that could become my competitor?
I have a small local business that was quite unique in my are. Now, several people choose to open the same kind of business. Recently, the owner of a very large company that operates in the same industry as me, called several times to schedule an appoitment with me because he is interested in what I'm doing.
I need to know how to conduct this meeting witout being too defensive and without giving out too much info. Also, my comapny is very small and his company very big and established.

curlz

Go ahead and schedule the meeting with a lawyer present and ask him to be the financer and use him to make money.

Or, simply feed him complete lies and tell him to bite your butt

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Melanie

With extreme caution. There is something that you have that they want.  Maybe its an established client base or trade secret, they might even just want to just buy you out or hire you.  Although signing a non disclosure/circumvent agreement may afford you some protection if they have lots of money it may be a moot point by the time you finish paying your legal fees.  The best way to handle this is express your concerns up front and meet in a mutual area that is not in your place of business.  Then do your homework. If they have a web site find out everything about them -look in the press release area. And have a list of questions for him about his company.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

Did you know?

There are actually 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 essential amino acids, and three essential fatty acids that your body needs every day.

Did you know?

Although the Roman numeral for the number 4 has always been taught to have been "IV," according to historians, the ancient Romans probably used "IIII" most of the time. This is partially backed up by the fact that early grandfather clocks displayed IIII for the number 4 instead of IV. Early clockmakers apparently thought that the IIII balanced out the VIII (used for the number 8) on the clock face and that it just looked better.

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library