Author Question: Do you think an associates degree in Business gives enough information for me to start a record label? (Read 1298 times)

Jesse_J

Planning to start a record label in the near future, im doing research and study the business everyday. Im just wondering will a 2 year degree give enough knowledge to show me how to Create a business plan and etc.

federox

Any degree will neither be an advantage or disadvantage to you in that industry - only your work ethic and talent (or talent for finding talent, rather) will help you out here. If you have taken your studies seriously you should know enough about the basics of starting and managing a business to minimize the chance of serious missteps, but your courses probably didn't have anything to do with the recording industry and no one cares what degree you have when you are in charge of your own business.

Your degree gets you in the door with an employer -- since you will be the boss, your ability to source talent and effectively promote them and gain distribution and exposure for them are going to be your keys to success. The stuff you learned in school will just help you along the way with managing your business (and will put you ahead of others who don't have this background).

Take what you've learned getting your degree, combine it with your knowledge of the recording industry, and run with it. If you're researching the industry you're on the right track and ahead of a lot of people who just jump in without doing their homework. Good luck with it.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

curlz

NOT AT ALL.
Sorry for the capitol letters, but I felt like I needed to stress my point in a very direct manner. As someone who has both failed and succeeded in business I can say that a 2 year degree in business will not give you enough knowledge to start your own record label. Now this isn't to say you may have a more clear understanding of the process of starting your business, but there is a monumental amount of knowledge that is only taught by actively participating in the market place.  

If I in your position and starting a business for the first time, I would search out the following resources:

SCORE   www.score.org   A non-profit group of retired executives who lend their time and knowledge to budding small business owners and entrepreneurs.

Brian Tracy  http://www.briantracy.com  The information he provides is excellent and I highly recommend purchasing courses or books from him. I have heard him speak at The Wealth Building Annex in Tampa Florida and he provided me with some of the best information I have ever received.

Also I would highly recommend the following books to get into the entrepreneurial/small business mindset

Think and Grow Rich   by Napoleon Hill  (anything by him is gold but this is the best)

The Millionaire Next Door
The Millionaire Mindset
The Richest Man in Babylon
The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss  

Also I would work in the industry for at least 4 years if you're not going to go get an MBA.  In the end the best thing that you could probably do for both your future and the future of your record company is to go for a full 4 year degree in business and obtain internships at major record labels, paid positions at independent record labels and go for an MBA.

I really hope your aspirations come true. If you put in the work, dedication and passion, it will.
I hope this gives you some positive ideas and direction.

Did you know?

There are approximately 3 million unintended pregnancies in the United States each year.

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

Did you know?

On average, the stomach produces 2 L of hydrochloric acid per day.

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library