Author Question: How to open a franchise business at 18 years old is it possible? (Read 1207 times)

geoffrey

I'm 18 years old, I don't really have money but there is this shopping center that just opened by my house and it is perfect for a GameStop or game store. I really want to open one up! I know it sounds silly but I'm really serious. Is this goal achievable? I know I need to learn a lot more about business and how it works. I'm a smart girl and I plan to figure some of it out this summer but is it even possible? I'm young and I know my business would be successful but am I in over my head? How would I even start my business? What is necessary to start a franchise? I'm going to college soon and just really want some advice.

Please give advice and opinions. Thanks

Yolanda

No way for GameStop since all GameStop stores are company owned.

In order to own any franchise or open your own store, you are going to need cash, a business plan and probably a loan.  lenders will not provide business loans to someone who does not have at least 25% of the cost to open the store in cash (you figure out the cost in the business plan - if you try to inflate the figures to get more money, they are experts and will know).

Also, most franchises want you to have a net worth of $200,000 or more in addition to your cash for the franchise.

And finally, you can't go to college full time and run a franchise or a successful business - this is a fulltime job (60 to 80 hours) and would leave you no time for classes and/or homework.

Go to college, get a business/entrepreneur degree and then think through what type of business you want, get the hands-on experience by working in the industry and then get your franchise when you are 30 - 35.