Author Question: I haven't been successful in securing financing for my start up business. I really suggestions? (Read 970 times)

Yolanda

I need $40 000 to finance my business but I can't get a loan because I have no assets and I don't qualify for grant money.  If I go to an angel investor and they actually want to invest I'll have to give a large chunk of equity away.  

The last option I can think of is borrowing it on credit cards but I'm worried about the interest.

What can I do, I need help!

ricki

You don't need $40K to start a small business.

Sharpen your pencil and re-figure your costs until you have that amount down to a more reasonable level (like under $5,000).

I started my business with $50 and it works great.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

geoffrey

40k?   If you can't come up with that you are not ready to run it.

Start up something cheaper, almost everything will be less.

Jones

I have to assume that you have done your homework and need the $40,000 to start. I dont think the answer is as simple as "sharpen your pencil".   It all depends what the business is.  The truth is that in most cases a startup isnt going to be able to find a loan from an institutional lender until it has assets.  Once you have real assets you can look to a commercial finance company that may be able to give you a loan before a bank.  If you think your business plan can attract an angel investor then I would suggest you start networking to see if you can raise the money.  Dont worry about giving up equity in a business that at this point has no value.  If you can raise the money from an angel then worry about the terms of the deal they are offering when you get it.  You dont have anything now.  Remember, an angel investor will want your interest to be aligned with his and the way they do that is to make sure you have a reasonable upside.

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

Did you know?

Intradermal injections are somewhat difficult to correctly administer because the skin layers are so thin that it is easy to accidentally punch through to the deeper subcutaneous layer.

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

Did you know?

As of mid-2016, 18.2 million people were receiving advanced retroviral therapy (ART) worldwide. This represents between 43–50% of the 34–39.8 million people living with HIV.

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library