Author Question: Can anyone help me answer this Criminal Justice Homework Question? (Read 1138 times)

Garrulous

What are victimless crimes?  Why are they sometimes called social-order offenses?  Do you think that such law violations are truly victimless?  Why or why not?

ricki

Victimless crimes are those that allegedly don't affect other people. The three most common are gambling, prostitution, and drug use.

However, they do effect other people. Prostitution can break up a marriage, gambling losses effect the entire family, and many people resort to crime to support their drug habit.

I hear people say "it's my body and it should be my choice if I want to take drugs", but the problem is very few people can afford a drug habit. If you ever had your house burglarized by a drug addict looking for his next fix, you will agree there is no such thing as a victimless crime.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

Did you know?

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, more than 50 million Americans have some kind of food allergy. Food allergies affect between 4 and 6% of children, and 4% of adults, according to the CDC. The most common food allergies include shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, fish, eggs, milk, and soy.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library