Author Question: What is symbolic interaction? (Read 1157 times)

coco

I need some help with my sociology homework... What is symbolic interaction, and how can it be "applied" to a common situation, such as job loss?

I really don't understand what my teacher means when she tells me to "apply" it to something...  I just don't get HOW you can do that. Must be so easy it's hard. I just can't wrap my brain around it tonight.

camila

Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2013
IF YOU TYPE SYMBOLIC INTERACTION IN YOUR ADDRESS BAR, THERE ARE SEVERAL EXAMPLES...AND EXPLANATIONS WHICH WILL HELP YOU  OK

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Melanie

Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2013
I haven't studied much sociology, but your question seemed interesting enough to look up on.  I just hope my answer doesn't suck!

This is what I got:

Symbolic interaction is a method of studying the reasons why people do things.  Every interaction anyone has with anyone else is based on other interactions in the past (any other single person or group of people).  These interactions work as a type of "power struggle" in which this communication creates symbols that influence the individuals in different ways.

Supposedly, anyone can notice these things happening as an observer of a separate group of people.  The knowledgeable observer can then create his/her own assumptions; or symbols.

This type of power struggle can be seen in any argument between a couple, for example.  Both the man and the woman attempt to create individual meaning through, although often irrational, argumentive points.  What they are really doing is attempting to win the argument, or in a sense, warp reality to their personal benefit.  The topic of argument, whatever it may be, is a version of reality in which the couple differs in opinion, but really desires to persuade the other.

Jeez.  I guess that's how it works.  On the surface, it's easy to understand, but once looked at in too much detail, it becomes confusing.

I suppose with the example of job loss, you have the person being fired and the person (or people) firing.  The person obviously did something wrong, or at least against the principles (symbols) of the boss and/or company.  The person fired may not have realized this, but still had a differing opinion or symbol, therefore lost his job.

Well, I hope that helped a little.  Sorry if it didn't, I tried.

Hawke

Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2013
Well for starters: symbolic interactions = how people label or put meaning toward areas of society. Symbols are every where. What are the first reactions or thoughts that come to mind when I say:
cross (something biblical, Christian, Christianity, etc.)
Peace sign ( the 60's, anti-war, hippies, etc.)
a heart (love, valentines day, etc.)
you get the idea. Everything around use has significant meanings, sometimes those meanings are related to a specific culture, gender, race, ethnic group, etc.

Now how it can be applied to something such as a job loss - what are some symbols or definitions (meanings) you can think of for someone who is unemployed? An unpaid bill can be a symbol/sign of unemployment. Get creative and think of what symbols/definitions/meaning you think of when you think of someone losing their job.

I hope this helps some...good luck on your paper!

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight. Carrots are high in vitamin A (retinol), which is essential for good vision. It can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolks, and liver.

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

Did you know?

Every 10 seconds, a person in the United States goes to the emergency room complaining of head pain. About 1.2 million visits are for acute migraine attacks.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library