This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse has provided discharge teaching for an older adult patient who had a pacemaker implanted. ... (Read 33 times)

pepyto

A nurse has provided discharge teaching for an older adult patient who had a pacemaker implanted. Which statement by the patient indicates appropriate understanding of the device?

a. The battery will need charging every 2 years or so.
  b. I'm supposed to call my doctor if my pulse is within 10 beats of my preset rate.
  c. My wife will have to be the one who makes the microwave popcorn.
  d. I'll take my pulse each morning before my first cup of coffee.

Question 2

The nurse observes signs that a patient being assessed may have an underactive thyroid. The data supporting this suspicion includes

a. heat intolerance, low-grade fever, and patchy hair loss.
  b. polycythemia, tachycardia, and oral can-didiasis.
  c. muscle cramps, fatigue, and cold intoler-ance.
  d. increased blood pressure, postural hypo-tension, and blurred vision.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ntsoane kedibone

Answer to Question 1

D
The radial pulse should be taken at the same time daily and recorded. The patient should notify the provider if the pulse is lower than the preset lower limit on the pacemaker. Battery life is longer than 2 years. Microwaves are safe to use.

Answer to Question 2

C
Older patients are seen with complaints of fatigue, cold intolerance, weight gain, muscle cramps, paresthesias, and confusion, which are symptoms of hypothyroidism that are often attributed to old age. Heat intolerance is often associated with hyperthyroidism. The other options are not re-lated to thyroid dysfunction.

pepyto

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
:D TYSM

connor417

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

Did you know?

About 600,000 particles of skin are shed every hour by each human. If you live to age 70 years, you have shed 105 pounds of dead skin.

Did you know?

The first oral chemotherapy drug for colon cancer was approved by FDA in 2001.

Did you know?

Certain chemicals, after ingestion, can be converted by the body into cyanide. Most of these chemicals have been removed from the market, but some old nail polish remover, solvents, and plastics manufacturing solutions can contain these substances.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library