This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient diagnosed with a somatic symptom disorder says, My pain is from an undiagnosed injury. I ... (Read 23 times)

Arii_bell

A patient diagnosed with a somatic symptom disorder says, My pain is from an undiagnosed injury. I can't take care of myself. I need pain medicine six or seven times a day. I feel like a baby because my family has to help me so much.

It is important for the nurse to assess:

a. mood.
  b. cognitive style.
  c. secondary gains.
  d. identity and memory.

Question 2

A patient reports fears of having cervical cancer and says to the nurse, I've had Pap smears by six different doctors. The results were normal, but I'm sure that's because of errors in the laboratory. Which disorder would the nurse suspect?

a. Conversion (functional neurological) disorder
  b. Illness anxiety disorder (hypochondriasis)
  c. Somatic symptom disorder
  d. Factitious disorder

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tuate

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Secondary gains should be assessed. The patient's dependency needs may be met through care from the family. When secondary gains are prominent, the patient is more resistant to giving up the symptom. The scenario does not allude to a problem of mood. Cognitive style and identity and memory assessment are of lesser concern because the patient's diagnosis has been established.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Patients with illness anxiety disorder have fears of serious medical problems, such as cancer or heart disease. These fears persist despite medical evaluations and interfere with daily functioning. There are no complaints of pain. There is no evidence of factitious or conversion disorder.

Arii_bell

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

isabelt_18

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

GI conditions that will keep you out of the U.S. armed services include ulcers, varices, fistulas, esophagitis, gastritis, congenital abnormalities, inflammatory bowel disease, enteritis, colitis, proctitis, duodenal diverticula, malabsorption syndromes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, cysts, abscesses, pancreatitis, polyps, certain hemorrhoids, splenomegaly, hernias, recent abdominal surgery, GI bypass or stomach stapling, and artificial GI openings.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library