This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient diagnosed with major depression says, No one cares about me anymore. I'm not worth ... (Read 33 times)

karen

A patient diagnosed with major depression says, No one cares about me anymore. I'm not worth anything. Today the patient is wearing a new shirt and has neat, clean hair.

Which remark by the nurse supports building a positive self-esteem for this patient?

a. You look nice this morning.
  b. You're wearing a new shirt.
  c. I like the shirt you are wearing.
  d. You must be feeling better today.

Question 2

A patient became depressed after the last of the family's six children moved out of the home 4 months ago. Select the best initial outcome for the nursing diagnosis Situational low self-esteem related to feelings of abandonment. The patient will:

a. verbalize realistic positive characteristics about self by (date).
  b. agree to take an antidepressant medication regularly by (date).
  c. initiate social interaction with another person daily by (date).
  d. identify two personal behaviors that alienate others by (date).

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sierrahalpin

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Patients with depression usually see the negative side of things. The meaning of compliments may be altered to I didn't look nice yesterday or They didn't like my other shirt. Neutral comments such as making an observation avoid negative interpretations. Saying, You look nice or I like your shirt gives approval (non-therapeutic techniques). Saying You must be feeling better today is an assumption, which is non-therapeutic.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Low self-esteem is reflected by making consistently negative statements about self and self-worth. Replacing negative cognitions with more realistic appraisals of self is an appropriate intermediate outcome. The incorrect options are not as clearly related to the nursing diagnosis. Outcomes are best when framed positively; identifying two personal behaviors that might alienate others is a negative concept.

karen

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

strudel15

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

About 3.2 billion people, nearly half the world population, are at risk for malaria. In 2015, there are about 214 million malaria cases and an estimated 438,000 malaria deaths.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library