Author Question: Solving quadratics using vertex form/root form? (Read 1658 times)

Jones

I've been trying really hard to figure out these for Precalc, but I just don't understand. How do I solve this quadratic using vertex form?

4x^2 + 149 = 28x

and this one, using root form?

3x + 8 + 16/3x = 0

thanks so much!
never mind the root form bit. apparently, that's just basic factoring.

Sandstorm

You find the vertex of a quadratic function by completing the square.

4x^2 - 28x + 149 = y
4(x^2 - 7x) = y - 149
x^2 - 7x = (1 / 4)(y - 149)
x^2 - 7x + (7 / 2)^2 = (1 / 4)(y - 149 + 49)
= (1 / 4)(y - 100)
(x - 7 / 2)^2 = (1 / 4)(y - 100)

That's the vertex form of the equation, giving vertex (7 / 2, 100).

With y = 0, it gives:
x - 7 / 2 = +/- 5i
x = 7 / 2 +/- 5i.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

Hypertension is a silent killer because it is deadly and has no significant early symptoms. The danger from hypertension is the extra load on the heart, which can lead to hypertensive heart disease and kidney damage. This occurs without any major symptoms until the high blood pressure becomes extreme. Regular blood pressure checks are an important method of catching hypertension before it can kill you.

Did you know?

It is widely believed that giving a daily oral dose of aspirin to heart attack patients improves their chances of survival because the aspirin blocks the formation of new blood clots.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms that may signify an eye tumor include general blurred vision, bulging eye(s), double vision, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye(s), iris defects, limited ability to move the eyelid(s), limited ability to move the eye(s), pain or discomfort in or around the eyes or eyelids, red or pink eyes, white or cloud spots on the eye(s), colored spots on the eyelid(s), swelling around the eyes, swollen eyelid(s), and general vision loss.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library