Author Question: Can someone please explain to me what a derivative is in simple terms? (Read 1018 times)

Sandstorm

I need help defining the derivative of a function f(x) I have tried to look online, but I just don't understand the lingo. I just need simple terms to help me understand this. And just to clarify this is to help me for my college Calculus exam coming up soon. Thank you so much!

ricki

the derivative is the slope

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Jesse_J

derivatives are the successors. what follows/ comes next.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

More than 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are younger than the age of 65 years.

Did you know?

Walt Disney helped combat malaria by making an animated film in 1943 called The Winged Scourge. This short film starred the seven dwarfs and taught children that mosquitos transmit malaria, which is a very bad disease. It advocated the killing of mosquitos to stop the disease.

Did you know?

There used to be a metric calendar, as well as metric clocks. The metric calendar, or "French Republican Calendar" divided the year into 12 months, but each month was divided into three 10-day weeks. Each day had 10 decimal hours. Each hour had 100 decimal minutes. Due to lack of popularity, the metric clocks and calendars were ended in 1795, three years after they had been first marketed.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library