Author Question: Two toddlers are playing tag. I chase you shouts one to the other. You chase me.. says the second ... (Read 40 times)

schs14

Two toddlers are playing tag. I chase you shouts one to the other. You chase me.. says the second one in reply. The fact that one child is acting as chasee and the other as chaser in this tag game illustrates

a. complementary roles.
  b. supplementary roles.
  c. interpersonal conflict.
  d. interrole conflict.

Question 2

Suppose that you are a first-grade teacher and notice that many of the children in your class sometimes talk aloud to themselves when they do arithmetic or other schoolwork. You wonder whether you should discourage these mutterings. Discuss how these mutterings might be viewed from Vygotsky's viewpoint and in light of recent research findings.

What will be an ideal response?

elyse44

Answer to Question 1

A

Answer to Question 2

Vygotsky interpreted private speech as noncommunicative attempts to utilize language to plan and guide complex behavior. The mutterings in the classroom probably reflect the use of language in an overt manner to guide thinking: first, I put a number here and next, I have to...let me see..... According to Vygotsky such mutterings are not signs of immaturity that should be discouraged, but rather evidence that children are engaging in task-oriented verbal thought. Research indicates that at the first-grade level, it is the more capable students who are using high levels of overt private speech. Given this evidence, teachers should not discourage its use.