Author Question: What is the valence shell and number of valence electrons for Lead? (Read 777 times)

ricki

I think the valence electrons is 4 and the shell is 6 but I'm not 100% sure if that s right. If it is can someone explain to me why? It would really help me for a big test tomorrow.

mia

Yes you are absolutely right.

First of all, it's shell 6 because lead, Pb 82 is located on the 6th row.

It has a valence electron of 4 because if you count from left to right, it happens to be the forth one.

Note: transition metals (columns 3-12) are often skipped because they are unpredictable.

So skipping the transition metals, start out with
Cs, 55  -----> 1 VE
Ba, 56  -----> 2 VE
Ti, 81   -----> 3 VE
Pb, 82  -----> 4 VE

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

Did you know?

Fewer than 10% of babies are born on their exact due dates, 50% are born within 1 week of the due date, and 90% are born within 2 weeks of the date.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library