Author Question: Identify and explain two powers that the Constitution Specifically DENIES to Congress? (Read 1221 times)

Jesse_J

Because I don't get it even if I read it  :(
THANK YOU so much!!

geoffrey

This is discussed in Article 1: Section 9 of the Constitution which is the limits on Congress.

If I was you I'd use:
The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

and

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Both are fairly easy to understand, maybe you can even note how the Patriot Act violates the first one I mentioned because we are neither under rebellion or Invasion. I'd go into more detail but I fear this may be for a homework assignment and as such a general nudge in the right direction is probably best. :)

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Hawke

the 9th and 10th amendments deny ALL POWERS AND RIGHTS not specifically given to congress from congress. Same with the president and the courts. THOSE rights and powers are specifically given to the states and/or people.

Jones

You don't get it? It's a list of very specific things Congress cannot do. In plain English. Article I, Section 9

Here, I'll explain one."No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time."

Congress can't spend money without passing a law authorizing that spending. And Congress has to maintain public records of their spending.

You might need to look up a couple of terms, but this is as simple as Constitutional law gets.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

Did you know?

Most fungi that pathogenically affect humans live in soil. If a person is not healthy, has an open wound, or is immunocompromised, a fungal infection can be very aggressive.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

As many as 28% of hospitalized patients requiring mechanical ventilators to help them breathe (for more than 48 hours) will develop ventilator-associated pneumonia. Current therapy involves intravenous antibiotics, but new antibiotics that can be inhaled (and more directly treat the infection) are being developed.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library