Author Question: An older adult reflects, Why should I go to the gym, I'm going to get fat anyway. Which response by ... (Read 2 times)

Starlight

An older adult reflects, Why should I go to the gym, I'm going to get fat anyway. Which response by the nurse is most appropriate?

A) Age-related changes are inevitable; however, most problems affecting older adults are related to risk factors, so it's important to do what you can to maintain a high level of functioning.
  B) Older adults experience positive or negative functional consequences because of age-related changes.
  C) Risk factors do impact consequences, but you can override them.
  D) Many problems affecting older adults are based on genetics.

Question 2

A nurse cares for an older adult at risk for a venous stasis ulcer. Which interventions should the nurse include in the teaching with this older adult? (Select all that apply.)

A) Health promotion interventions
  B) Functional consequences
  C) Wellness outcomes
  D) Environmental modifications

Anonymous

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
Although age-related changes are inevitable, most problems affecting older adults are related to risk factors. Older adults experience positive or negative functional consequences because of a combination of age-related changes and additional risk factors. Interventions can be directed toward alleviating or modifying the negative functional consequences of risk factors.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A, D
The nurse should include health promotion interventions and environmental modifications to create wellness outcomes for this client. Functional consequences and wellness outcomes are not interventions.