Author Question: What is the valence shell and number of valence electrons for Lead? (Read 772 times)

ricki

I think the valence electrons is 4 and the shell is 6 but I'm not 100% sure if that s right. If it is can someone explain to me why? It would really help me for a big test tomorrow.

mia

Yes you are absolutely right.

First of all, it's shell 6 because lead, Pb 82 is located on the 6th row.

It has a valence electron of 4 because if you count from left to right, it happens to be the forth one.

Note: transition metals (columns 3-12) are often skipped because they are unpredictable.

So skipping the transition metals, start out with
Cs, 55  -----> 1 VE
Ba, 56  -----> 2 VE
Ti, 81   -----> 3 VE
Pb, 82  -----> 4 VE

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Multiple sclerosis is a condition wherein the body's nervous system is weakened by an autoimmune reaction that attacks the myelin sheaths of neurons.

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, lung disease is the third leading killer in the United States, responsible for one in seven deaths. It is the leading cause of death among infants under the age of one year.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library