This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The crowded sidewalk is coated with ice. You feel a sharp pain and hear a cracking sound when you ... (Read 34 times)

mckennatimberlake

The crowded sidewalk is coated with ice. You feel a sharp pain and hear a cracking sound when you fall. You know that you've broken your leg. How might you overcome the bystander effect to ensure that you get help from passersby?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

Discuss the role of media in helping.

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

beccamahon

Answer to Question 1

Answer: First, make sure that people notice you; you might call out loudly so that they will see and hear you. Second, you need to make sure that they interpret the event as an emergency; instead of simply calling for help, you might shout that you have broken your leg and cannot get up. Third, you need to make individuals feel personally responsible for helping; you might try to single out someone (a man would be better in this situation calling for heroic assistance) who looks capable of helping you, try to make eye contact and say, Sir, will you please help me? I've broken my leg. Fourth, you might make it clear what kind of assistance is called for; tell people specifically to call 911.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: Several studies have shown that playing prosocial video games and listening to music with prosocial lyrics increases actual helping after the experimental session was over. It's likely that the media increased individuals' empathy toward those in need and increased the accessibility of thoughts about helping others.

mckennatimberlake

Reply 2 on: Jun 22, 2018
Excellent

miss.ashley

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

Did you know?

Computer programs are available that crosscheck a new drug's possible trade name with all other trade names currently available. These programs detect dangerous similarities between names and alert the manufacturer of the drug.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released reports detailing the deaths of infants (younger than 1 year of age) who died after being given cold and cough medications. This underscores the importance of educating parents that children younger than 2 years of age should never be given over-the-counter cold and cough medications without consulting their physicians.

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library