Author Question: Could someone please help me with my psychology homework? (Read 937 times)

aero

My homework is to write an essay comparing someone's personality to a personality theory.
My problem is, I can't find any of these "personality theories"
The only one I know of is sigmund freud, and he wouldn't work in this essay.
What are some other people who coined personality theories??

geoffrey

Personality theory is one of the core concepts in psychology. Freud made a big contribution to its development, but he isn't really considered a theory himself. Other people had different ideas about personality and their thoughts also helped to develop what we call the "Big Five". Try thinking of a person you know pretty well, and ask yourself where they fit on each of these 5 points:

1. Extroversion vs. Introversion (or outgoing vs. shy)
2. Neuroticism vs. Anxious vs. Relaxed  (perfectionist/ control-freak; worry-wart or mellow?)
3. Open-ness vs. Closed to Experience   (Eager to try new things or Prefers Predictable/ conventional routine)
4. Agreeableness vs. Antagonism   (A peace-maker or a fight-picker?)
5. Conscientiousness vs. Undirectedness     (Hard-working, goal oriented or Lazy?)

These five points can mix and match to form personality. People like Carl Jung and Carl Rogers did a lot of work with personality theories. If you've ever taken an internet quiz that asks something like "What kind of person are you?" then you probably answered questions related to the "Big Five"