Author Question: What is an independent and dependent variable in psychology? (Read 1139 times)

aero

I need to know what the independent and dependent variable will be in my experiment, please help!
My operant conditioning experiment is about conditioning myself to do my homework everyday by four, if i succeed i will reward myself with $40.
Help!!!!

geoffrey

An independent variable is the variable that is changed in a scientific experiment to test the effects on the dependent variable.

A dependent variable is the variable being tested in a scientific experiment.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

ricki

The independent variable is what you change experimentally, and the dependent variable is what changes as a result of the independent variable changing.

For your experiment, I'd say that your independent variable may be the presence of a reward, and the dependent variable would be whether or not it was effective, whether or not you got into a habit of doing your homework every day by 4.

hummingbird

independent: time homework is finished
dependent: reward - $40

Did you know?

Most fungi that pathogenically affect humans live in soil. If a person is not healthy, has an open wound, or is immunocompromised, a fungal infection can be very aggressive.

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

Did you know?

The average human gut is home to perhaps 500 to 1,000 different species of bacteria.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library