Author Question: The initial velocity of a projectile is 40m/s. The y component of the velocity is 50% of the initial velocity.? (Read 946 times)

j_sun

I am currently enrolled in an online Physical Science course and this is one of my homework problems; I have not been able to find the answer anywhere online or in the book. Please help!

The initial velocity of a projectile is 40m/s. The y component of the velocity is 50% of the initial velocity. What is the hang time for this projectile?

A.) 20s
B.) 4s
C.) 2s
D.) 10s

Thanks!

coco

hello,

If your vertical component of velocity is 50% of 40 m/s then it is 20 m/s

And the vertical velocity at the peak is zero

v = u + at

v = zero

u = - at

t = - v/a

t = -20 m/s / 10 m/s^2

t = 2 sec.

But this is only the time to the peak, the total time of flight is double this

T = 2t = 4 sec

Good Luck

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Eat fiber! A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels by as much as 10%.

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

Pubic lice (crabs) are usually spread through sexual contact. You cannot catch them by using a public toilet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library