Author Question: How can I improve my math skills especially in the field of algebra? (Read 1376 times)

geoffrey

I'm going to study civil engineering this coming school year and I enrolled for an advance class for math. Every time we have a class, I find it hard to understand algebraic problems (especially word problems in algebra). I love math but I find it hard to apply every time we have a seat work or homework. I also have problems remembering formulas and the law of exponents.

I really want to improve my math skills. I really need your help before the first sem starts.

you need to ask yourself if you are really decided to be a civil engr. in the future. if the ans. is a very firm yes, definitely, you solved your problem. i was once like you but i decided to "do whatever it takes to pass" my algebra class and all my engg subjects. patience patience and a lot of patience is all you need. eng'g course is not how brainy you are, it is how patient and resourceful you are.spend much of your time in practice, practice solving algebra problems. practice makes perfect. dont be disheartened. keep trying!!!

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Yolanda

I'm afraid the only answer is to practise. You need to work with the concepts until they become second nature. At first you will battle through referring repeatedly to your notes, after a while you will wonder why you even needed them!

Make use of your tutor, ask questions, and make sure you really understand the principles of the problem; many of my students just like to have an answer written down, without wantig to put any thought into how we got there, then get surprised when they can't do it themselves. Algebra is a very big field though, what particularly do you struggle with, rearranging formulae, graphical methods, indices?

Can recommend the BBC bitesize web site if it covers the areas you need though.

Did you know?

Of the estimated 2 million heroin users in the United States, 600,000–800,000 are considered hardcore addicts. Heroin addiction is considered to be one of the hardest addictions to recover from.

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

In the United States, there is a birth every 8 seconds, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Population Clock.

Did you know?

Medication errors are more common among seriously ill patients than with those with minor conditions.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library