This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: My sister and brother-in-law are beginning to plan a family. Should my sister avoid vitamin ... (Read 123 times)

arivle123

My sister and brother-in-law are beginning to plan a family. Should my sister avoid vitamin A-containing foods to decrease her risk of fetal malformations?

Question 2

Are there ways that university foodservice staff could assist an individual such as this to avoid large portions of vitamin K-rich foods?
  Should these measures be voluntary or mandatory in the college setting?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Juro

Answer to Question 1

No. Vitamin A is an essential nutrient, and your sister should strive to consume about 770 micrograms of vitamin A each day from food sources. This is the amount found in about 1 cup of milk and  cup of carrots combined. It would not be advised, however, to consume vitamin A supplements during pregnancy.

Answer to Question 2

The university foodservice staff can assist a student with Factor V Leiden thrombophilia by providing a daily supply of at least 2 fruits and vegetables with low vitamin K and a variety of recipe options for meat, milk, eggs, and cereals, or at least the availability of these products on a daily basis.
I think the university foodservice should not be mandated to offer such foods for a student with Factor V Leiden thrombophilia; however, it is more than feasible and inexpensive for them to do so.

arivle123

Reply 2 on: Aug 21, 2018
Excellent

abro1885

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

As of mid-2016, 18.2 million people were receiving advanced retroviral therapy (ART) worldwide. This represents between 43–50% of the 34–39.8 million people living with HIV.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

Did you know?

When blood is exposed to air, it clots. Heparin allows the blood to come in direct contact with air without clotting.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library